You can now play the full version of Arena.Xlsm!
Download version 1.3 here: Arena.Xlsm
- Random enemies: Over 2000 possible enemies with different AI abilities.
- Random items: 39 item modifiers result in over 1000 possible item combinations and attributes.
- An interesting story with 4 different endings depending on how the player has played the game.
- 8 boss encounters, each with their own tactics.
- 12 pre-programmed arenas followed by procedurally generated maps. Each play-through has its own challenges.
- 31 Spells. There are many different strategies for success.
- 20 Unique items. Unique items have special properties and can only drop from specific enemies.
- 100 Achievements.
- This is all in a Microsoft Excel workbook.
You can also access the official Arena.Xlsm wiki here: http://arenaxlsm.wikia.com/
The Arena.Xlsm photo gallery is here: https://carywalkin.wordpress.com/2013/03/24/arena-xlsm-gallery/
What are the system requirements for this game?
Arena.Xlsm has been tested to work on PC versions of Microsoft Excel including Excel 2007, Excel 2010 and Excel 2013. Arena.Xlsm will not work on Mac versions of Microsoft Excel.
When I open the file I can see the screen but nothing happens when I click on buttons.
Arena.Xlsm uses Excel macros to execute the programming for the game. In order to play the game you must enable macros. For detailed instructions see the wiki: http://arenaxlsm.wikia.com/wiki/Macros
Where can I find additional information on the game including strategies?
Please consult the official Arena.Xlsm wiki at http://arenaxlsm.wikia.com/
How can I create a permanent save file so that when I die I go back to that save file rather than dealing with the consequences of death or so that I can transfer a save file from system to system?
It is important to keep in mind that Arena.Xlsm is at its core, an Excel spreadsheet. To make a permanent save file, simply make a copy of the Arena.Xlsm workbook and rename it. Such as “Arena (Level 4 Combatant).Xlsm” Now if you ever die or want to transfer the file, simply open the copy you created to load your saved game.
RPG… does this game have a lot of level grinding?
The leveling system acts primarily as a gatekeeper to gradually introduce new story, enemy types, spells, etc. The amount of kills needed per level should be approximately 3-6 kills regardless of level. Level grind can ruin the pacing of a game so I’ve done my best to keep it to a minimum.
When I try to send version 1.3 over GMail it says that it detected a virus. What gives?
There appears to be a problem with GMail’s virus detection system resulting in a false positive. While I am discussing the issue with Google, I have created an alternate edition of Arena.Xlsm v1.3 which will work with GMail. The GMail Edition is encrypted and requires the password “arena” to open. You can download the GMail Edition here: Arena.Xlsm GMail Edition.
I have a bug report or feedback, how do I get a hold of you?
I can be reached by:
E-mail: cary (at) carywalkin.ca